DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NGK 6000 generator. It is brushless and mainly used on job sites. Can I use this in my home? I’m sure it will operate a well pump and lites but what about a TV, refrigerator, computer, new furnace or newer appliance with electronics? I’ve read about dirty power. Is there a way to correct this?
Thanks you
Tim

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
A measure of power quality is Total Harmonic Distortion (THD). In general, it is recommended to use power sources that have 5% THD or less.

Many inexpensive portable generators are worse than 5%, and usually don't quote the number. There are a few that do, such as the Generac XC and XP series, but they aren't cheap. Also, inverter type generators will produce good clean power. But they also tend to be more expensive.

There is no simple, inexpensive way to correct for poor power quality.

These days, many appliances, including refrigerators, stoves, ovens, HVAC systems, etc have microprocessors in them that can be damaged by poor power quality, so using them with a portable generator can be risky.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.