DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a house that was started by someone else and they were in the stages of rough in. My question is i see that 14-2 was used for wall outlet and some of the wall outlets are tied back to overhead lighting. I know that 14-2 must be on 15amp and that 12-2 must be on 20amp. But is this up to code or do I need to pull it out. I understand that most wall outlets are used with 12-2 and that overhead lighting can be 14-2 or 12-2. Any help would be great.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Certain receptacle circuits must be 20A, such as kitchen, DR, bathroom, laundry, but not all.
What you have is typical for an average house.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
If you have a 14 gauge cable going somewhere that you need a 12 gauge cable, you could leave the 14 gauge cable there for some other usage.

Hint: The 20 amp bathroom circuit may serve only the bathroom* so you might as well run a cable nonstop from the panel up to there. Similarly a receptacle in the laundry area needs its own 20 amp circuit.

Better not to mix 12 and 14 gauge wiring on the same circuit; the breaker is limited to 15 amps here.

* One 20 amp circuit for lights, fan, receptacles all in one bathroom only, or for receptacles only in one or more bathrooms.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I always use 12-2 on lighting because if you install a ceiling fan it gives you the option of using a 20 amp breaker.
Why not just use a 20A breaker from the start???

If you use 14-2 on a ceiling fan and I may be mistaken but I believe some of the fans are rated for a 20 amp breaker.
Never in my life have I seen this with a residential fan. Ceiling fans draw less than most light fixtures.

If you use 14-2 on plug ends I believe the formula calls for 8 plug ends per breaker assuming all major appliances are on there own circuit. I always run 12-2 for appliances. If 12-2 it calls for up to 10 for normal household use. Not constant load.
NONE of this is correct (unless you are in Canada), even then I don't think it is right.

Instead of "I think..." and "I believe...", why not get your facts straight before replying?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts