DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a "not understanding why" question. The granite installers say that after the granite is on our countertops, they clean it with a strong solvent. Most people use acetone, but ours likes to use something even stronger.

We are wondering what they are trying to clean off of the granite that is so difficult to remove. They mentioned the paint pens that they use to mark the lines where they will cut, but we used those make those lines, and I know that it's very easy to scrape off the unwanted paint, because we did it several times while making the marks in the fabrication shop.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
When we had our granite installed, there was no cleaning of the surface after installation. This has never been a problem (granite installed about ten years ago). As an aside, we did not use any surface treatment of the granite after installation, when I read the warning label on the recommended product I decided I did not want that type of chemical on a surface I might prep food on. This too has not been a problem, but I understand that many people use a sealant on granite, to each their own.

I would ask the installers what it is they need to remove, what product they plan to use, and then ask yourself if you want such a product seeping into the granite, especially if you may occasionally drop a piece of food on the granite, and want to be able to eat it afterwards without ingestion of chemicals.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
i have purchased granite 3 times. nothing was really needed to clean it after install. but a little wipe down with granite cleaner really does spiff it up.

i use granite sealer/cleaner now & then. granite can be permanently stained. and something safe that will minimize this is a wise choice.
i had dish soap badly stain my last granite. it took months of work leaching the stain out.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
10,475 Posts
I agree with both Fixn ansd Dan... (they are not contradictory thoughts...)

BUT... in my experience with maybe two dozen subed granite tops, I'd sure be wary of someone telling me that they both need and use something stronger than cleaner for the top..., sounds like scare BS to me... and that generally means less than honest business.

Call them on it for a good legitimate explanation...

Let us know if we don't know something...thanks...

Good luck

Best

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my experience with maybe two dozen subed granite tops, I'd sure be wary of someone telling me that they both need and use something stronger than cleaner for the top....
So to be clear, when the subcontractors working for you installed the granite, their final step was NOT a wipe-down with a strong solvent like acetone? They simply wiped down with a regular cleaner?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
They clean it off and apply a sealer. It's not like their applying a device to alert aliens where to invade.
What is this solvent you're afraid of?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts