DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quart can of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal that is about 2 years old. I have used 1/3rd of the can. It is kept in a cool place but never freezes. It has developed a thick skin on the top. The product underneath, after breaking through the skin, is mostly globby in nature with some liquid. What has happened?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
I have a quart can of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal that is about 2 years old. I have used 1/3rd of the can. It is kept in a cool place but never freezes. It has developed a thick skin on the top. The product underneath, after breaking through the skin, is mostly globby in nature with some liquid. What has happened?
Oil products cure via oxidation. Once you open a can they should be used. Use a product like bloxygen or other inert gas if you want to extend the shelf life once opened.

·
retired painter
10,985 Posts
It's not uncommon for an opened can of paint/poly to skin over. Often the coating underneath the skin is ok to use [may need straining] but it sounds like your can is past that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This happens frequently at our place, when we put aside some paint and it 's forgotten. Disposing off that paint is even more trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts