DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,

Just last month yous helped me with a clunk sound- ended up it was the ball joint, and all went well. Now, the car quit whilst driving it. At the last second, I veered off to a driveway and out of traffic. Car towed to my house.

I suspected fuel pump, but I get gas at the injector. Then, I checked for spark, and no spark. (I used a spark tester where you see a flash if theres a spark).

87 pontiac sunbird. I just changed the dist cap and rotor. No engine codes (its an OBD 1).

Thaks!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing that comes to mind is the ignition module. Replaced a lot of them over the years.
I appreciate that, Marc, but I have to test it first. Good place to start. I will pull out my Haynes and see what I have to do for a module check.......

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
checked the module and both + and C terminals check out 12v+. Next........I hope its not the ECM.

·
fabrk8r
849 Posts
The symptoms sound like the crank position sensor could possibly be defective.

Reactions: noquacks

·
fabrk8r
849 Posts
BTW, the crank position sensor can easily be checked with an ohm meter as long as you know what the range of resistance should be.

·
Oldguy
498 Posts
Your car is not equiped with a crank sensor. 99% chance it's a bad ignition module.

Reactions: noquacks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Your car is not equiped with a crank sensor. 99% chance it's a bad ignition module.
Thaks big time, Rehab. Update: I also suspect module, but kinda still like to test it. I read the Haynes last night in bed, and man, there was over a page and a half of fine print on it! So, what I did a few minutes ago, I put on a spark plug wire directly to the coil main, at the oother end, a spark tester (that lights up ), and touched it to engine ground spot, cranked, and no spark. Doesd this indicate a bad coil? I can test coil easily, I remember, based on Haynes.....

Now, does ignition go direction of module TO coil or coil TO module? If module to coil, then sounds like module for sure. Right? Guess if I dont get a spark from coil main, means coil could still be good if goes from module TO coil.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I get it beter now. Coil tests out good! I did infinity readings and low ohms on the terminals. According to the Haynes, coil is good. Now, looks like module.

I can buy one- thats easy. Probably from Rock auto- but still would like to test it to confirm- for fun. Will do more reading........

·
Registered
567 Posts
Most auto parts stores can test ignition modules if you take it off and bring it in. Up here all the o'reilly's stores can...they'll do it free if it means selling a module.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most auto parts stores can test ignition modules if you take it off and bring it in. Up here all the o'reilly's stores can...they'll do it free if it means selling a module.
Right! Marqed, madderafac, I went to AZ, they tested it and it failed....yahooooo!

So, I bought a new one ($25 or so), lifetime. Im happy. But havnt put it in yet. Storm just hit. Too wet. Gimme an hour or so.

Thanks,
Peole.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now , the hurrricane is over, so I go out side and open box with module, and instructions clearly state "put on the thermal grease included in box", and NO grease. Geez, I even pointed it out to the TWO attendants behind the counter- they loked at each other and shrugged {I dont thoink you need to smear anything on that].

Gotta go back, now........LOL

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good idea, rusty. will do that tomorrow AM.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Put on the goo in back of the module, and installed- car works!!!!!! Made sure to get lifetime, this time! Anyway, off to the next problem, people.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts