DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GE Motor cross ref info

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Yoyizit 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,
I saw an earlier post about a motor cross ref and was hoping someone might be able to help. I have a GE motor with the data plate rubbed to the metal, I have a pic of it and can read the stamped info, and was wanting to find some data or specs on it. it's for an electrical motorcycle conversion I'm doing. I already know it's a series wound 72volt DC and it's 57 lbs. I'm curious about the other info, I assume its 3200 rpm? but what's the other large number? any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm also interested if these motors have some kind of amperage rating?

-chris s

See less See more
#2 ·
Kinda hard to tell; the '5BC' number is most likely the model number. GE changes model numbers more often that most of change our socks! It likely won't be of much use.

3200 is probably the full-load RPM.

4 is most likely the HP. At 3200 RPM.

72 is likely the voltage.

57 might be the full-load amps. At 3200 RPM. Higher speed = lower amps. Lower speed = higher amps. Could be weight though.

60 MIN is the time rating. It's not supposed to run longer than 60 mins. at a time, if it does, it'll overheat. It needs another 60 mins. to cool off.

40 is likely the maximum ambient temperature. 40C = 104F.

B is probably the insulation class. This is the maximum temperature that the windings inside the motor can get without damage. A = 105C (221F), B = 130C (266F), F = 155C (311F), and H = 180C (356F).

SERIES; Type of winding. The armature and field are connected in series. Parallel is called shunt wound.

49; Might be a frame size, but 49 isn't a standard frame. 48 and 56 are. If it has a base, and the center of the shaft is 49/16" (3-1/16") from the bottom of the base, there's a good chance this is the frame size. Might be full-load amps though.

4365; Likely the maximum speed. Since this is a DC motor, speed will be related to voltage and load. If the full 72 volts is applied and the motor is not loaded, it might overspeed.

DRN; GE uses 3 digit letters for serial numbers, there's a good possibility that this is the serial number.

If you apply 12 volts to it, it'll almost certainly run, just not very fast or strong. If it runs backward, reverse polarity. It'll run the other way then.

Rob

#3 ·
micromind,
thanks a ton, that really helps. I got an email from GE saying that they couldn't find the number in their database, go figure.
I've turned her with a little 12 v. lawn tracter battery and all seemed fine so far (after I cleaned her up.) she was filthy with rust everywhere inside. hopefully she'll work well in a motorcycle, the 60min. won't be a prob since my battery pack probably won't last that long (lead acids) and the temp should be okay as it will be in the open in the frame.
here's a pic in case you're curious.

-chris s

going in here

#4 ·
Thats not your everyday DC motor. Exposed terminals. Looks more like a starter for a car engine. Perfect for the application it seems. Where did you get this motor, and what did it drive/operate previously? Let us know how this project goes. Sounds very interesting. Good luck

#5 ·
If it was a starter it started something big, this thing weighs about 57 lbs when I put it on the bathroom scale. I picked it up from a guy in the mid america chapter of the EVAA (electric vehicle association of america). He never ran it, but said it came out of a volkswagen bug electric conversion project. Seems a bit small to run a car but for all I know they could have been over volting it a bit.

gonna try and have it mounted in a week or two

-chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.