DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

GE dcvh680ej1ww Dryer

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  RAL238 
#1 ·
GE dcvh680ej1ww shuts off after 5 minutes. Im testing the high limit switch with my volt meter and it has continuity. Do any of you guys have any other suggestions to check? Its running for about 5 minutes then I hear a click and off she goes. Seems after about 10 mins it will start again, but then shut off.

#2 ·
Just because the high limit switch has continuity doesn't mean it is working properly. It sounds as if you should replace the high limit switch and move on from there. Fairly inexpensive fix.

#3 ·
The parts diagram for this model shows that there are 3 separate thermostats. Did you check all of them? They may open (rightly or wrongly) when they sense that things are too hot, but unless you check them quickly, they may close again before you can check them with your multimeter.

#4 ·
I checked every single thermostat and thermister. The only two I am not getting a reading from is the INLET CONTROL THERMISTER and the OUTLET CONTROL THERMISTER. I bought a new INLET CONTROL THERMISTER and checked for continuity and ohms and nothing happens on my meter as nothing happened on my old thermister. I know when it was running I would hear a click in the back and then it would shut off.

#7 ·
The two thermistors are resistive elements that change in value with the temperature. According to the service manual for a similar GE dryer, they should have a value of about 100,000 Ohms at 77 degrees F. You may have your meter set to too low a range if you were looking for continuity.

Here's the manual. Not sure exactly how similar your model is, but in my experience, there is usually a lot of commonality, especially on components like these.

See pages 51 and 52 of the manual.

http://www.applianceaid.com/pdf/GE-Dryer-Profile-DPVH880EJ_GJ-Service-Manual-31-9167.pdf

#8 ·
Ral you are right on the money it was set too low. I think Im getting closer to my problem. I put everything back together and same thing happened. I now think it is a bad heater relay on the main board. It keeps clicking and when I move the wires right by it, the dryer turns on. I shot a video but can't get it to load and it wontnlet me post a pic now.

#10 ·
If the relay is clicking when you move the wires, it could be that there is a crack in the wiring on the circuit board that controls the relay. Moving the wires causes the crack to make and break the connection.

If the wires to the heating coil were the problem, I wouldn't expect the relay to click as if it were turning on and off. Moving the wires is probably stressing the circuit board to open and close the cracked wire.

You might be able to repair the circuit board by soldering a new wire in parallel with the circuit board wiring to bypass the crack. Though many circuit boards these days have an epoxy coating over the entire board which makes doing a repair like this nearly impossible.

#11 ·
Thx for your reply Ral. T he clicking starts on its own after about 5 min and then shuts off the dryer. I tap the relay and the dryer starts back up again. I took off the board and saw no cracks or burnt spots near the relays. A new relay costs 10 bucks on ebay. But I gotta buy another soldering tool and sucker. A used board is 60 bucks plus shipping. A new board costs $100 plus tax. I kinda wanna try and fix it but knowing me I'm gonna burn something off lol.

#13 ·
A new relay costs 10 bucks on ebay. But I gotta buy another soldering tool and sucker. A used board is 60 bucks plus shipping. A new board costs $100 plus tax. I kinda wanna try and fix it but knowing me I'm gonna burn something off lol.

I've been in almost the same situation with Whirlpool dryer. I knew which relay was causing the problem, and I was able to fix it for a while, but after about a year the problem came back and I finally gave up and replaced the board. It's worth taking the inexpensive approach as a first step as you won't lose much if it doesn't work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.