DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a new window unit from Walmart last Friday morning. It cools fine but the compressor wants to run constantly. Unless I turn it down to about 2 or 3 on the thermostat. My room is 12x14. All I could afford was this unit. How long can its compressor run before breakdown? or How to manually cycle it? Thanks!:001_unsure:

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
the harder an a/c has to run the shorter its life is going to be. A 5000 btu a/c should cool that size room fairly well, depending on outdoor temps. If you have to turn it down to 2 to make the unit cut off then your room must not be cooling down very good. You probably should have opted for an 8,ooo btu instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here in oklahoma city been seeing temps 100-104 degrees. My room faces east and is shaded from the sun in the mid afternoon then on. There is 3 floors. I am on the 1st floor. Old brick building. I hope it will last me all summer. It feels comfy in here. My landlord allows each unit 1 5,000 btu unit. How to manually cycle it to prolong its life?

·
#1 HAWKEYE FAN
1,903 Posts
not sure how you can manually cycle it except to turn the thermostat to a lower setting. What is the room temp?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do not have a room thermometer. Definetly a nice temperature difference walking into the hallway which is not airconditioned. I remember a hole in the wall that goes to the laundry room. Just now sealed it off. Put a towel at the base of the door cause i felt a breeze under it. Thats closed off now. Maybe that will help. I will see how it goes.

*UPATE* Ive found more holes in the wall and one larger one that I sealed up. this seems to be contributing to the cooling problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts