DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have tried to replace a working GCFI outlet in my bathroom. The reason is due to the plug in being loose and may possilby short out., but it was still functioning. So, the new receptacle is installed and is not working. The green light is on but when I press the reset button, nothing happens. I've tried reversing the wires and still nothing. If I reinstall the original receptacle, it works. FYI, this is the second new one I have installed thinking the first one was defective. What I have also done is install a receptacle that is not a GCFI type and everything is working. This outlet allows power to my bathroom light as well as the power to this outlet and my supplies power to my second bathroom located downstairs. What am I doing wrong?

·
Licensed electrician
13,389 Posts
What do the instructions say the green light means?

Did you wire the power in on the line terminals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have installed the black wires onto the brass screws and the white wires onto the silver screws as per the instructions and connected the ground wire. So I have a black and white wire going to the line and the same going to the load connections.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have installed the black wires onto the brass screws and the white wires onto the silver screws as per the instructions and connected the ground wire. So I have a black and white wire going to the line and the same going to the load connections.
The reason why a regular receptacle works is because it does not matter if the power is going in on one brass screw or the other and then down line to power something else.

With a GFCI it is very very important that you identify which cable (which contains the one black and white wire and ground) is the power source (line-in). The other cable feeding something else down line is the load out. Not every GFCI depending on the manufacturer etc will always be set up the same way.

What you need to do is look at the back of it. You will see both "line" and "load". You connect your power source to "line" and you connect the other cable to "load". On both line and load your black goes to the brass screws and your white to the silver screws and of course your ground to ground screw. So the most important things to do are: know which cable is the power and know what is load and what is line on the GFCI receptacle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I know which wire is which? I've reversed the black wires and then reversed the white wires. The green light did go off and I put them back to their original positions but then there is no power although the green light is back on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reversed the black wires again and all is good. I may not have pushed hard enough on the reset button the first time I attempted this so that's my best guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts