DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a screw drive Miracle One opener and it seems to be getting slower and slower and sometimes stopping randomly while opening or closing the gate. It was installed somewhere around 2001 I believe, so I'm wondering if it's just getting to the end of its life? Is it possible to just buy a new screw drive unit and replace the Miracle One opener? I'd like to upgrade the strength of the opener if possible, as we added fencing(and a wheel for support) to the gate for privacy last year. Any input or recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
I don’t like the look of the hinges.

They look overloaded/bent to me. This would increase the friction, slowing down the gate/opener operation.

I’d disconnect the opener and try a manual operation of the gate to see if the opening force required has significantly increased.

You may need to get someone out there to replace those hinges with stronger ones..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

They look overloaded/bent to me. This would increase the friction, slowing down the gate/opener operation.

I’d disconnect the opener and try a manual operation of the gate to see if the opening force required has significantly increased.

You may need to get someone out there to replace those hinges with stronger ones..
The hinges have been in bad shape since we bought the house, not sure if that makes a difference. The opener is rated for 600lb. I have the exact replacement hinges somewhere I think, I got them from a fab shop down in Florida. Here's a better pic of the hinges.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,420 Posts
Those hinges are overloaded, and sagging.

For temporary try to oil them, it is amazing what a little lubrication can do.

But ultimately you need better stronger hinges.

And that opener might be a little tired, and could be having burned brushes, from the stress of those bent hinges.

ED

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those hinges are overloaded, and sagging.

For temporary try to oil them, it is amazing what a little lubrication can do.

But ultimately you need better stronger hinges.

And that opener might be a little tired, and could be having burned brushes, from the stress of those bent hinges.

ED
Yeah the hinges have grease balls, so I put as much grease in as it could hold. I may try again just to keep it going for a little longer until I get someone out to look at the gate.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Re-reading and replying to this comment....sometimes I have the gate on manual operation(key turned in the opener and unlocked) and it takes my full weight pushing with my legs against the gate to open it. It starts moving after a while, but still takes some effort.

Hinges aside(which clearly needs to be fixed) in regards to my original question, is the opener upgradable after the hinges are repaired to allow for easier operation with the pickets having been added?

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
How did it work when you first added the wood, before the hinges pulled the gate out of shape where the top hinge nut is?

Looks like the square tubing could have used some washers and maybe the hinges could use some grease.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
OUOTE: key turned in the opener and unlocked)

Not being familiar with that system but being those hinges that size can't provide enough friction to cause that kind of force to open, even if they were in a 9 line bind, try disconnecting the opener completely to determine if anything changes. If no change check out the added support wheel before determining the opener is faulty.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did it work when you first added the wood, before the hinges pulled the gate out of shape where the top hinge nut is?

Looks like the square tubing could have used some washers and maybe the hinges could use some grease.
I did just load the hinges with grease just now, and pushed some old grease out also. The square tubing could have probably used washers but by the paperwork from the previous owner, this was done in 2001... and the company is no longer in business so not sure how well they did their work. Here's another angle of the top one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also here is the bottom one. I also greased the wheel just now, but that wheel is pretty new, I added it when I added the pickets a few months ago.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, this is when I was sizing replacement bolts but it gives you a visual of the hings before I added the fencing... the issue was already there unfortunately

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Also here is the bottom one. I also greased the wheel just now, but that wheel is pretty new, I added it when I added the pickets a few months ago.

I would disconnect the closer and get the gate working smoothly by hand.
New hinges, maybe more of them and square washers that spread the weight out to the sides of the tubing

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,420 Posts
Reinforcing the square tubing hole with a welded in cylinder for the hinge bolt will strengthen this attachment point.

Currently it appears that they just drilled holes through the tubing, and it has tweaked to sag.

A welded pass through cylinder will prevent it from sagging later.

And a stronger hinge system is needed too, because your hinges have sagged, dur to the load being more than the two of them can support.

ED

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reinforcing the square tubing hole with a welded in cylinder for the hinge bolt will strengthen this attachment point.

Currently it appears that they just drilled holes through the tubing, and it has tweaked to sag.

A welded pass through cylinder will prevent it from sagging later.

And a stronger hinge system is needed too, because your hinges have sagged, dur to the load being more than the two of them can support.

ED
So the opener may be in 100% working order and the aforementioned items should be looked at instead? Or those items just need to be fixed first before even being able to ascertain the condition of the opener?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,420 Posts
That might be correct.

Have you detached the opener from the gate, and tried it for function?

If it can't pull the weight, lessening the weight is needed, or a stronger opener.

Or both, I can't be there to tell , so you must do the work, or hire it done.

But making the gate operate smoothly and easily by hand would be my first priority.

ED

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That might be correct.

Have you detached the opener from the gate, and tried it for function?

If it can't pull the weight, lessening the weight is needed, or a stronger opener.

Or both, I can't be there to tell , so you must do the work, or hire it done.

But making the gate operate smoothly and easily by hand would be my first priority.

ED
I will disconnect the opener today and see how the gate performs. I take it that it *SHOULD* operate somewhat freely with little resistance almost similar to a free swinging chain link fence gate?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,420 Posts
I will disconnect the opener today and see how the gate performs. I take it that it *SHOULD* operate somewhat freely with little resistance almost similar to a free swinging chain link fence gate?

That is what I would be looking for.

Taking into consideration that this gate outweighs any similar sized chain link one.

But yes it needs to be operated by a child sized person in reality.

ED

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the gate DEFINITELY moves better than expected without the opener connected. So much better than expected, I broke the fence a little(yes you can hear in the video, feel free to laugh at me, I am)

https://vimeo.com/392262822

Then I connected the opener and the gate didn't even have the power to open fully. It's been stopping wide-open lately.

https://vimeo.com/392262913

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,420 Posts
Great.

Looks like it took minimal effort to operate it.

Therefore your opener has "crapped-out". :devil3:

And needs either fixed, or replaced with a new ,better, stronger one.

We are glad to have been invited to advise on this project.

ED

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
Has the battery in that opener ever been replaced ?

Have you tested the battery ?

I’d want to make sure that the battery is not the problem before assuming the opener has failed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts