DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a natural gas water heater at home (40 gals) and it's close to it's end of life. Since I have seen people switching to an electrical water heater, I was thinking of doing the same (thinking it would be cheaper to operate). However, in doing my homework, I noticed that a standard electrical water heater cost twice as a gas one to operate annually. At least according to the yellow sticker attached to the water heaters. Am I missing something? is gas a cheaper way to heat your water.

ps. I did see that a heat pump style water heater was about or a little cheaper to operate than a gas one but I heard since it's a new technology/works like HVAC it needs to have issues.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Yes, in most areas of the US, the annual operating cost going to be cheaper on gas than electric.

Recovery time is much better with gas than electric.

I don't really understand the reason why someone would switch from a gas unit to electric. It might be the upfront cost difference. However, you recover that in the first year or so of operation. After that you are saving money.

·
Registered
577 Posts
in general, gas (ng, not propane) is better and cheaper for just about anything you can run off of it. propane has gotten stupidly expensive so electric is cheaper than propane in most areas. the upfront cost might be higher, but it is worth it in the long run.

·
4,080 Posts
I would stay with a natural gas WH... hands down. I have had both electric and gas WH's and the 40 gallon NG WH we have now, makes me never want another electric WH.

Right now in my state, with its coal fired generating plants our electricity costs are very reasonable. But now with a few of our coal fired plants already closed down by the powers that was and the rest getting gradually switched over to natural gas probably in the next decade or so.... our electricity and natural gas prices one day will probably not be too far apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Electric or gas water heater are good or bad depends on the requirements of each one. Each type of water heater has its strong points and its drawbacks so it's pretty hard to evaluate. Personally, both electric and gas water heaters are good products that consumers should get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts