DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new natural gas stove and gas barbecue.

Gas Stove: Napoleon GDS25
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Stoves/stoves_gas/gds25.html

I have looked through the installation/user manual and it does not give a specific reference to the required clearance of the through wall vent and the vent hood proximity to the metal gas supply line.

I am trying to figure out if I need to re-route my gas lines or if I have adequate clearance to the stove vent.

I beleieve that the 1" gas pipe on the exterior of my house would be approxiamtley 12" above the vent hood. I am hoping it is ok, but want to know if I should re-route or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have looked in the mechanical code and it says that the vent should not be within 3 feet of the meter service outlet.... once again nothing restricting vent to gas pipe.

Help please!

Thanks

·
Banned
3,704 Posts
Common sense prevails in this case(hot surface against a medium carrying a highly flammable substance just goes against my grain) . Although I have never exposed a flue to gas pipe I have seen it done on some hack furnace installs.

Just make sure there is no contact on the gas pipe form any hot surface.

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
I have looked in the mechanical code and it says that the vent should not be within 3 feet of the meter service outlet.... once again nothing restricting vent to gas pipe.

Help please!

Thanks

If your talking about sch. 40 gas pipe .. there is no clearence requirments.. Your range vent / exhaust won't affect it

·
HVAC / Plumbing
1,801 Posts
he probably has an exhaust fan for the range. that would cool down the exhaust gasses in the vent as it would be exhausting some air within the home as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should clarify, its not a cooking range type stove, but a free standing gas fireplace. I am not sure if the exhaust is a power exhaust, I will have to check on that.

So there is likely a good amount of heat coming oout of the fireplace vent.

The gas supply line in question is 1" the "black iron" pipe. I honestly dont know what the exisiting pipe schedule is, but 40 sounds correct. I appreciate the input.

I have the same question in with a friend that works for the manufacturer of the fireplace as well.

This is similiar to what I will have without the brick..... imagine a small 1" diameter pipe above the vent ( maybe 10-12")for my particular situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your talking about sch. 40 gas pipe .. there is no clearence requirments.. Your range vent / exhaust won't affect it
Any second opinions since it is not a range stove, but a free standing fireplace stove?

I have a hard time beleiving it would be an issue since the vent has to be more than 2" from a combustible in the wall. The pipe is non-combustible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts