DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy All,

I have an older GE gas range/oven with your standard 4 burners on top of the oven. The burners up top work perfectly. The oven on the bottom works perfectly.

But! But when I have the oven on (pre-heating, for example), I can't use the burners on top without them sputtering. I might be able to get one burner going, but I'll need to use a match (the ignition won't take effect) and I'll still get uneven flame.

Not knowing much about gas lines, it SEEMS as though there's only enough gas coming through to run the oven OR the burners. Please tell me that's not the case and there's just something I can clean, fix, or replace.

Thank you kindly!

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
Your stove is starved for gas. It could be a bad regulator. Or supply pipes to small or too long. Is this a new problem or has it always been doing this?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your stove is starved for gas. It could be a bad regulator. Or supply pipes to small or too long. Is this a new problem or has it always been doing this?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I think the stove is original with the home (1989). We bought the house two years ago. It has been like this since we moved in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, *if* I were to look into increasing the gas supply to the range/oven, what would I do to investigate the parameters?

What size line width should I be looking for? I can measure what I have now with calipers.

Is it possible that the pipe to the kitchen outlet is big enough, but the connecting line is not?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
For a gas range/oven, you should have a supply line that is at least 3/4" inside diameter.

Stupid question... have you checked to see that the supply valve is fully turned on and not partially closed?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a gas range/oven, you should have a supply line that is at least 3/4" inside diameter.

Stupid question... have you checked to see that the supply valve is fully turned on and not partially closed?

Hey now... there are no stupid questions. Case in point: I have not. I think I will do so today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts