DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gas water heater and the w/d hookups are right next to it in the garage. The water heater has a short flex pipe extended off a steel pipe, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to add another flex line of about about 4 feet or so to allow a gas dryer? I don't know if the line is piped for only one appliance or not...how can I tell?

Thanks

·
6,520 Posts
Gas pipes are sized based on the demand from each particular appliance. Calculating it can be a real challenge, but we can help.

First, did you have a gas dryer here before? Did you relocate the dryer to this area? Or is a gas dryer a new thing for this house?

We need to know what size of pipe you're proposing hooking onto for starters, and how many feet of pipe are between that hook-up point and your gas meter.

Two things:

1) Putting a gas dryer in a garage presents a very real safety hazard. The code requires that any fuel-burning appliances located in garages be located at least 18" above the floor. Heavy combustible vapor from gas cans, vehicles, lawn mowers, spilled chemicals, etc present a very real ignition hazard when exposed to the gas dryer when running.

2) For any added gas lines you are required to get a plumbing/gas permit. Fairly simple, but it involves an air test of any new fittings and sections of line. They'll also want to verify that you're not increasing the demand on an undersized pipe/system and they'll want to see a shutoff valve for the appliance.

Yes, a flexible gas whip is available for dryer hookup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts