DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a DIY replacement of an electronic gas valve in my aging trane furnace last year. I used rector seal on all the joints, and did a gas leak check using soapy water(all passed). The furnace operated for a few weeks before the weather started getting warmer with no issues. Fast forward to this winter and I awoke this morning to the faint smell of gas in the house. I turned off the unit and the gas and performed another soap and water leak check (switching gas on briefly for the test). Sure enough, one of the joints is now bubbling. The rector seal appears to be cracked on the outside. Any suggestions as to what went wrong so that I can avoid repeating my mistake?

·
Administrator
41,648 Posts
Joint just needed to be tighter than it is. Happens.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah, the rectorseal is more of a lubricant than it is a sealant. It's job is to lube up the threads so you can get them good and tight. It's the metal on metal action that's supposed to make the seal. At this point, it's probably a good idea to take the joint apart, apply more dope, and then try again to get the joint tighter than you did the first time.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
OP, you did make sure to use a gas pressure gauge to measure and set correct gas pressure, right?
Gas valves are not plug and play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts