DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 - Is it legal for me to work on my own gas furnace?

2 - if I perform work on my furnace is it illegal for a company to come out and work on it for something else?

·
Registered
688 Posts
yes, you can work on it yourself and yes, you can have another company follow up. however, just like a professionally hired contractor, you are supposed to do your due diligence to follow all local codes and make sure anything you work on you update to current code if necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Here is the background:

1-Had an estimate from a company.
2-Replaced the two part they suggested (ignitor and gas valve)
3-didn't fix it.
4-Had another company come out to check my work because they could make it out faster.
4-replaced control board
5-called company #2 to come out to check work and advise on arching issue.
6-refused to come out because I replaced parts (they knew that I replaced previous 2) and said it was illegal for me to work on it without a license.

wanted to make sure it was okay before moving to company #3.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
without saying anything a good tech will see what was changed with new stuff on a walk in...do you still have no heat and did #3 show up....your running out of stuff to change what is and or isn't going on the call for a for heat....next time somebody comes in and bangs you for a service call? quip...don't bother i'll go over to DIYchatroom:eek: to talk to the pros for FREEEEEEEEEEE:whistling2:nobody tells you what you can and or can't do:wink:in the castle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not fixed yet. Having an arching problem or something that sounds like it. I didn't call #3 today...I'm ignoring the big pink elephant for tonight.

The problem now is right when the blower kicks on after the heat up...I get a crackle sound or arching.

Anywho...I'll keep updating as this story continues.

And yes...it is my castle. Boo-yea!!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Some ignitors make a popping/ cracking sound. If it is functional declare it fixed. I am always amazed at the garbage that comes out of "professional's" mouths. Sleazy lawn service dick told my aunt it was illegal for her to buy weed & feed at Lowes and apply to her own lawn because she wasn't a PhD in lawn care like he was. I got the turd fired.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@polecat - the popping sound is VERY loud. I can hear it in the house. This is why I'm concerned. The only time I've heard something similar is right before a transformer blew when I was a kid. Granted the transformer was much louder....but same type of sound.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
is there a burning wire smell like a toaster elements with the burner cover off how is the flames and has the spark ignition stopped after the main burners are on...so the unit is making set point but the noise and neither parts change any sounds....but you still have original noise....do you have a plain cardboard/fiberglass filter or electronic?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No electric short smell now that I think of it.

The ignitor is a glow rod. It gets white hot then the gas kicks on. Right when the blower kicks on the noise starts.

I would like to see if it stops but I don't want anything else to short out and I certainly want my house to catch fire.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
could be the heat exchanger expanding getting hot then cooling down after the stat satisfies...do you hear it after the main gas shuts down,but the fan is still running at the end of the heat cycle?especially if your right down in front of it...160F + going into that duct from the furnae is it sheetmetal on the main run out up into the house?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts