DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our furnace has been making some terrifyingly loud booms in the winter. They are loud enough that it can be heard from any room in the house. We are renting and have had a "furnace guy" (landlords term) look at it a few times already. He says that it is a delayed ignition, BUT I am a bit skeptical that he actually knows what he is talking about. Mainly because he tried to tell us that delayed ignition is "nothing to worry about."

We have already had the gas furnace on now for a week or two and it hasn't happened yet. It seems to really only happen when the winter gets very cold, or excessively windy. There will also be multiple booms within about 60-90 seconds, with ticking in between.
tick...tick...tick....BOOM...tick...tick....tick...tick...BOOM...
and then the blowers will kick in.
Sometimes it only booms once, sometimes 3+ times.

What makes me skeptical is, would that be enough time for gas to build up in between each bang? And why would it be so much worse in windy/colder conditions?

I would appreciate any input. If I can try to pinpoint what the issue really is, I would like to bring it up to my landlord before it gets too cold, and hopefully have the issue resolved.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
this can be an extremely dangerous situation. the tech is an idiot. call the rentalsman/housing authority and get some advice. they will lean on the owner and get a proper tech to fix it. tell them exactly what he said about delayed ignition and also call the gas company/authority or fire dept inspector. where I am they have LOTS of authority. especially with rentals the fire dept will step in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this can be an extremely dangerous situation. the tech is an idiot. call the rentalsman/housing authority and get some advice. they will lean on the owner and get a proper tech to fix it. tell them exactly what he said about delayed ignition and also call the gas company/authority or fire dept inspector. where I am they have LOTS of authority. especially with rentals the fire dept will step in.
Will they be able to fix the problem if it isn't doing it yet? It's running fine now, but I know that problems are in our future once it gets colder. I would prefer that our house doesn't blow up.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
most high quality techs can see if the burners are dirty or out of alignment/pilot is dirty/gas pressure is wrong and can find the problem. small chance they don't but you really need to try. if it gets bad enough the flames will roll out the front of the furnace and burn up all the wiring and do major damage.

what is the brand name and model number?

·
Administrator
41,937 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the house blowing up. I'd worry about you blowing up. Put pressure on to have that furnace fixed, or replaced.

·
Administrator
41,937 Posts
The guy did clean it while he was here. It was a Rheem, model number RGAA-08KA
If it still has delayed ignition, it still needs fixed or replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts