DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Heat N Glo direct vent gas fireplace (not sure of exact model). I consistently have a lit pilot light, however, when the switch on the wall is turned on sometimes it ignites right away, sometimes it doesn't. If it does ignite right away it will generally burn out after a few minutes or even seconds. If it doesn't ignite right away, it may ignite at some point if the switch is left on. There is no consistency to the flame igniting.

I replaced the electrical wall switch thinking there could be a short, but no change. I took the cover off the fireplace, and manually flipped the switch underneath to "on" and it lit right up and burned for 30 minutes with no signs of trouble.

Any advice on where to look next is appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am a novice "DIYer" and the more specific you are, the more likely I'll be able to follow your guidance.

Thank You!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Hi , first lets try this ... The 2 wires that go to the wall switch join them together at the fireplace or put a jumper across the terminals . You shud do this at the fireplace so we can eliminate the wires and switch . I'm presuming there's no wall thermostat ? Let me know how you make out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Most of the time its a thermopile which isn't providing enough voltage for the main gas valve to open. This is often just because the pilot flame is not enveloping enough of the thermopile. Try rapping the base of the pilot assy a number of times with a large screwdriver while the pilot is burning. The point is to cause vibration which combined with the pilot gas, will often clear any ash inside the cobra hood of the pilot that was causing a pilot flame that was too soft. If you see the pilot flame enlargen and become a bit harder, stop. Now try the fireplace again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Sounds like a poor connection going to the switch. Since you replaced the switch itself, I wouls suspect the fireplace end oc the connection. Try what HVAC DUDE suggested.
 

·
Experienced HVAC Tech
Joined
·
357 Posts
I would also suggest removing and cleaning the thermopile with a wire brush or scotchbright pad. It may only be sensing the flame some of the time due to build up on thermopile
 

·
Roofmaster
Joined
·
3,731 Posts
Close gas valve. wait till cool. There is a small hole behind the pilot light that may be blocked with dust, spider web etc. Spray with electronic cleaner CRC QD works well. clean out hole with tooth pick, or tiny bottle brush. Rub Thermocouple with steel wool, lightly. Re light. Let us know. You may want to clean burner bar while you are in there, spray them too and rub steel wool stick toothpick in holes. You have makeup air right? No bird, or bee's nests, etc?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top