DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gas fireplace insert and when I turn the blower fan on it will start to make a loud almost grinding noise after some time... Needless to say, it does not sound like it should.

I'm thinking it's either some kind of dirt or dust in the fan motor or blades... or perhaps some kind of bearing?

Any ideas how to fix this? Or is this something that needs to be replace? I was hoping to get away with a vacuum and a couple shots of oil if possible...

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,301 Posts
Only one way to see if that will fix it, do what you suggest.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
You are in a much better positionn to tell us what worked....clean and lube is always a good first step.:thumbsup:

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Yeah, try A, if no work go to B. Vats da Problem?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Many fireplaces are installed with fans that look like aftermarket parts.
Meaning the fan&motor are not actually secured in place. You can hope that it has moved out of place and the cage is coming in contact with something it shouldn't but 95% of the time, that motor/fan assy will need to be replaced

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks for the info! Seems like I was on the right track anyway...

Any recommendations where to get a manual online to see how to remove the motor/fan assembly?

Also, in the event that I have to replace the motor, any recommendations for online parts suppliers? I called my local supplier and it sounds like I'm looking at around $250 just to replace the motor!

The unit is Insta-Flame Model# DV36RN

Thanks!

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,895 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info! Seems like I was on the right track anyway...

Any recommendations where to get a manual online to see how to remove the motor/fan assembly?

Also, in the event that I have to replace the motor, any recommendations for online parts suppliers? I called my local supplier and it sounds like I'm looking at around $250 just to replace the motor!

The unit is Insta-Flame Model# DV36RN

Thanks!
Ayuh,.... In this case, Google is yer friend,...
"Insta-Flame Model# DV36RN" produced this,...

Check page 29, fig. 45, 'n 46...

You have the optional fan kit.... part # 50-954,...

Donno if Sherwood is still 'round or not...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
there are numerous blowers for fireplaces on ebay, amazon, and bizrate for under 100.00 but it is only the blower that is inside the unit you show in your photo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info!!!

All great resources...

I noticed my fan does not look quite the same as the one in the photo, and more of the "hamster wheel" kind. Perhaps it is after market to begin with.

I think I will start with taking it out and oiling/clean to see where that gets me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts