DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Utica Gas Boiler, Model number MCB125HD, with 3 zone heat. below picture shows the settings

I found yesterday that there was no heat at home. After checking, I found the boiler making humming sound,
the Taco Circulator pump is hot but touchable. All 3 zone pipes were cold. The Circulator pump was replaced and about one year old.

I turned down the temperatures on all 3 thermostats and waited some time (maybe 45-60 mins).
The Circulator pump is also cold by now. I then turned up the temperature in one zone to above room temperature,
and the boiler fired up and the pipe warmed up. I then turned on the temperatures for all other zones, everything
seemed back to normal, the boiler back to work and rooms warmed up.

This situation has happened a couple of times recently. Anyone knows what might be wrong? Thanks for any help in advance

Gas Engineering Machine Electrical wiring Industry

· Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
Circulator pump may be seizing up or getting ready to fail. It may have freed itself up and running again. Keep an eye on it.

If the pump is getting really hot, making noise or humming, and returns lines are cold,, it may need replacing/servicing.

· Registered
Building my last home
5,388 Posts
Time to learn the control system and all of its parts.
The concept of turning down the temps on the Tstats may be a simple rest for the controls.
When you came home the pump was running and all the valves were closed.

This is way to complicated to do by remote control. You need someone to look at and test all of the valves and controls.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Post a better close up picture so we can see all the valves, switches etc.
here are some pictures. Thank you very much for your time and help.

(1) the Honeywell valve was less than 1 year old, the middle one was about 3 years old,
the right one was there since we bought the house
Wood Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply Technology

(2) the blower motor is old and was there since we moved into the house
Wood Electrical wiring Rope Cable Electric blue

(3) here is the control and pressure gauge
Electrical wiring Electricity Circuit component Gas Electronic engineering

(4) circulation pump and release value (both were replaced together about a year ago)
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Metal Corded phone

(5) Expansion tank
Fluid Cylinder Gas Motor vehicle Machine

· Administrator
42,671 Posts
Just a FYI. What your calling a blower motor. Is actually a flue damper motor. On the side of it, is a switch to lock it open. Lock it open and see if that stops your no heat problem. If so, then the motor is wearing out. If not, then side it back to automatic.

Reactions: user_12345a

· Registered
501 Posts
here are some pictures. Thank you very much for your time and help.

(4) circulation pump and release value (both were replaced together about a year ago)
View attachment 722193
That pressure relief valve is required to have a discharge line whcih terminates within 6 inches of the floor. Whoever has been working on this for you is not doing legal work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts