DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,844 Posts
The right way per NEC requirements. Unless you want to rebuild the garage after it burns to the ground.

Reactions: Speedy Petey

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,844 Posts
To many violations to list. Is that SE cable? If so it cannot be buried. Is the conduit UL listed for electrical use? Is it deep enough? If not then a new conduit will have to be install along with the correct cabling. What does it feed? A panel? The panel nay gave to be replaced. What code are you under? Does the town require permits and inspections? In order to further help you we need more detailed info.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,844 Posts
What type of cable is it? UF? SE? If it is SE cable it is a violation to run it underground. Eventually it will fail or short causing a bigger problem.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
electures, I am not on scene at the house now. Is there a way to tell what type of cable it is? What do I look for? The only thing I have for you to help me now is that picture. Thank for any advice.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,844 Posts
In the second pic it looks like NM-B (Romex). Not allowed in a wet location.

Reactions: Speedy Petey

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
Bet your having a problum with rot at the bottom of those walls to.
Sure looks like someone thought it was more important to to have the walls flush on the inside for looks instead of setting the bottom plates even with the outside so the sheathing could run past the foundation so water would not just take out the siding.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went under the crawl space today and saw that the cable goes from the main panel directly into the ground. It then goes under a brick patio toward the garage. I was hoping I could pull this cable out through conduit, but I doubt it.

So how deep do I have to dig given that it is the middle of winter and the ground is frozen? What type of cable do I get? Do I have to run it though conduit? How should I enter the garage once I get the right kind of cable to that point?

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
So how deep do I have to dig given that it is the middle of winter and the ground is frozen? What type of cable do I get? Do I have to run it though conduit? How should I enter the garage once I get the right kind of cable to that point?
I have to say, from the tone of these questions, and previous ones, you BEST bet would be to wait until spring and hire someone who knows what they are doing to do this right.

I get the feeling you will need to ask questions about every single detail regarding this installation, and it is quite likely that you will miss a few.

Reactions: Jim Port

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get the feeling you will need to ask questions about every single detail regarding this installation, and it is quite likely that you will miss a few.

I was just told that in another thread, yet I did the job with no problem. I do not always use the same official terms that the "pros" do, but I get it done and have been for some time.

Lets not forget the name of this forum is "DIY"

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I was just told that in another thread, yet I did the job with no problem. I do not always use the same official terms that the "pros" do, but I get it done and have been for some time.

Lets not forget the name of this forum is "DIY"
No I did not forget anything, and it's not just about "terms". We can tell a lot simply by the what someone asks and how the ask it.

I'm not saying you didn't do a good job on your last project, but just because it works does not mean it's correct or safe. Just sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
16,891 Posts
Getting it done does not mean that it is problem free or done safely and in accordance with the codes.

For example you can install a bond screw in a subpanel and it will work. The problem comes up when someone receives a shock or worse. What the heck, it works.

Just because this is a DIY forum does not mean that anyone the posts a question here has the skillset or the intelligence to know when they are too deep. Based on your constant questions and poor attitude about safety you should not be doing electrical work.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Based on your constant questions and poor attitude about safety you should not be doing electrical work.

Well....uh this is a question and answer forum so yeah I do ask questions. I am sorry if you think they are dumb questions, but I only ask because I want to know.

As for a poor attitude about safety that is false. While I am not a stickler or a slave to the CODE I do want everything I do to be safe. I have rewired the entire house I live in and I have not had a safety issue for the 12 years I have been here. Most of residential electrical work is fishing cable and making good connections. I can do that, and I have done it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is there anything in the code that says a garage HAS to have power? I am thinking of just disconnecting the line leading to the garage. It is just a building to house a car and hang up rakes and shovels.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,844 Posts
Is there anything in the code that says a garage HAS to have power? I am thinking of just disconnecting the line leading to the garage. It is just a building to house a car and hang up rakes and shovels.
Detached garages do not require power.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.