DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install an Insinkerator Evolution garbage disposal. The drain elbow coming out of the garbage disposal does not line up correctly with the trap. I'm trying to figure out the best way to correct this. I've tried extending and retracting the trap arm, but I can't get them to meet. I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A longer trap arm and a little swing of the elbow should get it all to line up.
Thanks. I think the one in the kit I bought is 12". It looks like Lowe's has one that is 15", but I'm not sure if that will be long enough. I need to come over about an 1.5" Do you think an extra 3" is enough?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I would not add an extension. Better flow with one piece. Don't forget you can get one over long and trim it back to sufficient length.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Get yourself a 45º elbow, then rotate the disposal so the drain meets the trap. Making that horizontal run longer in a straight direction is just gonna cause you trouble with the weight for your pullout faucet spout.

Guess someone planned poorly when laying things out? Luckily one of those plugs on the outlet isn't blocked. Is that for the dishwasher?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get yourself a 45º elbow, then rotate the disposal so the drain meets the trap. Making that horizontal run longer in a straight direction is just gonna cause you trouble with the weight for your pullout faucet spout.

Guess someone planned poorly when laying things out? Luckily one of those plugs on the outlet isn't blocked. Is that for the dishwasher?
Thanks for your help. Sorry to ask a stupid question, but can I use some type of 45 that attaches to the the slip joint adapter? If not, do I have to cut off the slip joint adapter, solvent weld a 45, then solvent weld a new slip joint adapter? It is very poorly laid out, unfortunately. We moved the sink out of the corner, and they had to route the drain in from the left side of the cabinet. The left receptacle is for the garbage disposal, and the right one is for the dishwasher. I think the plugs fit okay (it looks closer than it actually is, maybe due to the angle of the picture).

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Not sure which thing you're calling the slip joint adapter. I'm talking about the white pipe you have sticking into the black pipe in your 2nd pic. Assuming you can find an elbow in a suitable size, all you gotta do is cut that pipe in the right spot where the elbow will push your P-trap out far enough to reach your disposal drain. You'd just stick the elbow between the two pieces of cut pipe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure which thing you're calling the slip joint adapter. I'm talking about the white pipe you have sticking into the black pipe in your 2nd pic. Assuming you can find an elbow in a suitable size, all you gotta do is cut that pipe in the right spot where the elbow will push your P-trap out far enough to reach your disposal drain. You'd just stick the elbow between the two pieces of cut pipe.
I get what you're saying now. I was talking about the connector that is glued onto the end of the ABS pipe. I thought that was called a slip joint adapter. I was going to screw a 45 onto that. You're saying to just cut the white trap arm and connect the 45 there. I will try that! Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts