DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a storage loft in the space above my garage door. I’ve read articles on this and most have the loft attached to the joists or rafters above the space with bolts and chains. I don’t want to go that route.

My plan is to build two supporting walls on either side of the garage door and have the loft rest on top of those. The walls are no problem. The loft will be 4 feet deep and 20 feet long, spanning the distance over the garage door. I want to use 2x8x20ft spaced 12 inches on center for a total of 5 pieces of lumber. I was going to use 2x4s for bridging. I’m trying to avoid as much deflection as possible so the lumber won’t sag and interfere with the operation of the garage door. I’m looking at strength and cost.

I have a lot of foot lockers and book boxes to store here. I estimated the heaviest load would be around 100 pounds per square foot. This space is strictly for storage with no plans to walk up there.

I’m asking for any thoughts or considerations I would need to build this.
Thank you

·
retired framer
47,197 Posts
We tried 20 ft 2x10s one time the floor sagged 1 1/2 inches under it's own weight.
I would run a beam the 20 ft and use shorter joists. but then you have to look at the beam over the door, it might not take the load.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts