·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

If I have to cut 1foot from my driveway to make room for my longer
garage slab.

How much clearance should I add?
Also don't I need to add some clearance for the forms.
Or can the form sit on top of the existing driveway. New garage slab will
be higher be 5 inches.

Thanks for input.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
We just put a piece of 1/2" celotex (black board) between the garage slab an drive for an expansion joint.
The rest of your question is a little confusing.At least to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mako,

My garage slab is 5" taller then the existing driveway,
so I am not sure how to place the forms for the slab at that junction.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Are you planning on sloping the old drive up to the new slab.If you set a form on top of the existing drive won't you have a 5" ledge?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Maco

Yes. there would be a ledge.
I was going to slope up to the ledge in a separate pour/ different day.

But I see now that the form has to be 5" tall and could sit on the existing
driveway.
Also the expansion joint would be brought up to the height of the new slab.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Ron45:Show me where there were any pics in his posts.Or links to a pic?
I understand what he has to do but that is a bit different than what DIY'er sometimes do.
You're pic shows more like a 3' sloped approach where the op said he was taking out a foot.The only thing more worse than an op not supplying pics is another person that has not seen the job finding unrealated pics on the internet.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Hi Maco

Yes. there would be a ledge.
I was going to slope up to the ledge in a separate pour/ different day.

But I see now that the form has to be 5" tall and could sit on the existing
driveway.
Also the expansion joint would be brought up to the height of the new slab.
Don't pour the new slab within a 1/2" of the existing driveway, just take enough of the driveway out right away to reduce the risk of damaging the new slab later on. Generally, we leave at least a foot for forming a thickened edge slab. If there's that much height change, I'd plan on taking at least 5' out and replacing it later........

BTW, the picture ron45 added is exactly what it should look like when it's done correctly........

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
He asked about a gap between the garage slab and drive and I stated that we always left a 1/2" expansion joint using a piece of Celotex for the joint.Never said that's all he should remove.And yes ,I would also take out 5' for that amount of drop and it should look like Rons pic when done with a sloped apron.
The dog jumped on me and spilled my drink in my keyboard and I was a little aggrevated when posting to Ron.No excuse for being rude.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
let's step back & just blame it all on the dog :yes: 1/2 the staff in either apron OR vest store won't know celotex so just ask for expansion joint material,,, both carry it in 4' lengths x 1/2" x 4" :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts