DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have to replace the sole plates and some of the studs around my entire garage. It's an old 1950's garage, doesn't seem to have any moisture problems or foundation issues (no cracking, all is level, no shifting of the structure). However, the some of the structure walls are sagging from no sole plate support. I have never attempted anything like this, however, I do know my way around. I have looked into some methods, looks like the best is to jack up each wall, or a portion thereof, replace the sole plate with pt and seal the floor, attached new sister studs to the existing, tie the new sisters to the new sole plate with simpson ties. So, if any of that is wrong, let me know, but my main question is:

Can someone recommend a good cheap bottle jack, how many jack posts to buy, how far to space them, how much of the wall to do at once, and how high to jack the structure.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
You only have to jack enough to get the old out and new installed, so you are only talking about jacking less than 1". And there is not a lot of weight, so a basic heavy duty truck jack should work fine.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
You haven't said how big the garage is or how it's constructed or braced. What is in place to prevent the walls from racking? You may need to attach some 2x4s to x brace it before you start jacking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts