DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to paint the ceiling of my garage in white paint and was curious if someone could recommended a certain type of paint that would best protect and be a good option for a garage environment.
As you can see in the pic below my ceiling is all exposed wood studs and plywood.

thanks!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Prime with an oil base wood primer..this would help reduce tanning stain abd bleed thru then 2 coats of a 100%acrylic base satin enamel ..... water based primer will raise grain of the wood which may require sanding after coating...and it is possible bleed thru might occur

·
retired painter
11,374 Posts
Personally I wouldn't paint open rafter ceiling like that with white. While it will brighten it up some, all the nooks and crannys will make it look bad. When I paint open rafters like that I use black or a dark colored stain .... but it does require better lightning.

Any special reason for not hanging drywall?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I wouldn't paint open rafter ceiling like that with white. While it will brighten it up some, all the nooks and crannys will make it look bad. When I paint open rafters like that I use black or a dark colored stain .... but it does require better lightning.

Any special reason for not hanging drywall?
I didn’t want to drywall because I wanted to keep it opened up with more of a garage feel.
I got the idea of painting white from a YouTube vid of someone redoing their garage. They painted with a Wagner gun (2 coats) and it looked like it came out great (pic below). Also below is a better pic of my ceiling.
So using the same method (Wagner gun) wouldn’t have good results?

·
retired painter
11,374 Posts
All the 'black' areas where the gaps are bother a lot of folks, using a dark colored stain [doesn't need primer] hides them. If you spray it white you definitely want to use an oil base primer - that will prevent discolorations in the white latex paint.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn’t want to drywall because I wanted to keep it opened up with more of a garage feel.
I got the idea of painting white from a YouTube vid of someone redoing their garage. They painted with a Wagner gun (2 coats) and it looked like it came out great (pic below). Also below is a better pic of my ceiling.
So using the same method (Wagner gun) wouldn’t have good results?
View attachment 649725
View attachment 649727
That really looks quite nice to me! Go for it!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Would a primer+paint work?
not to block tannin stains. If you dont care about stains and stuff, you can spray it with waterbased. It'd be a really good idea to at least prime it with 123 or similar before topcoat. but theyre both white anyway.

I've never done this, but I suppose you COULD just spray a solid color white waterborne stain instead of paint.... Honestly, thats what that picture looks like to me. Stain, and not paint, at least on the rafter on the ceiling anyway. They probably rolled paint on the lower walls afterwards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not to block tannin stains. If you dont care about stains and stuff, you can spray it with waterbased. It'd be a really good idea to at least prime it with 123 or similar before topcoat. but theyre both white anyway.

I've never done this, but I suppose you COULD just spray a solid color white waterborne stain instead of paint.... Honestly, thats what that picture looks like to me. Stain, and not paint, at least on the rafter on the ceiling anyway. They probably rolled paint on the lower walls afterwards.
is there an advantage of using stain vs paint?

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
is there an advantage of using stain vs paint?
I do these kind of jobs fairly regularly these days and just use stain. I’m partial to SW’s Woodscapes solid color stain. A Wagner won’t give you enough power to push paint but it will do the job using stain. Sometimes one coat is sufficient but 2 looks better.
Stain will be a FLAT finish though. Go for it. It’s a fairly easy task. Just cover EVERYTHING that you don’t want overspray on, and I mean everything!

Reactions: mark sr

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
That picture looks really nice!

I would not use "paint and primer". The "primer" in those is mostly good for painting bare drywall. I would always use a specialty primer for a situation like this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what did products and tips did you use?
since I live in Cali, I couldn’t use oil base. I used Zinsser 123 and spot treated with shellac primer for any problem areas. The water base primer did a good job. There’s was a bit of yellowing bleeding through.
The back of the zinsser can said to use a .017 tip. This was way too big of an orifice so I used an extraordinary amount of primer. A crazy amount of primer! 😂😂 I covered 720 sq ft of risers/ceiling space.
With the second coat of paint, I used a .315 tip which was way better in paint wastefulness.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts