DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a garage on a 6 inch thick cement slab. As such it rises about 3 inches above the ground. I'm in an area where it gets extremely cold. Is there anything I have to do to ensure the frost does not get under it and heave it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
How deep is your frost line?

You need some type of footing in addition to the slab itself -

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/foundations.htm

And of going with a monolithic slab, also think about how much of the slab extends out of the ground - you don't want your siding down near or against the ground. And your site is probably not level, it will have some grade you have to account for.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am building a garage on a 6 inch thick cement slab. As such it rises about 3 inches above the ground. I'm in an area where it gets extremely cold. Is there anything I have to do to ensure the frost does not get under it and heave it? Thanks.
I wouldnt worry about it on a floating slab..I live in Wisconsin and have never poured footings for a garage.. not even the 40*80 timber frame barn we put up..and that slab stayed bare till the next summer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here in Northern Ont. Canada, it gets cold. I have never yet seen anyone pour footing down below the frost line for a garage. they are all built as a floating slab on grade. Use lots of re-bar and min. 32mpa concrete. make sure you have good drainage to take any water away from the building.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts