DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i want to insulate my garage. It has the black board stuff that looks like glued together wood shavings. I forget what it is called, it's behind the 2x4's and seems like it's just that then the exterial wall. I read that this stuff does not require a vapor barrier and in fact counts as a v.b.

there is a v.b. on the ceiling with no insulation.

I also read that you should not put a v.b. then fiberglass then another v.b. as it creates a moisture cell. What you are suppose to do is put fiberglass open to the outside air then a v.b.
so does that mean i cant' put fiberglass on top of the black boards then a v.b. on top of firberglass?

I'm a bit lost.

I want a plywood for the bottom and the top half of the walls and the ceiling i'm thinking of corrugated fibreglass or plastic.

I"m wondering about the value, cost, and application of rigid foam vs pink panther stuff. absolutely against sprayed.

thoughts, opinion, what would you do? what have you done?

·
Naildriver
10,421 Posts
The blackboard is acting like a weather resistant barrier, similar to Tyvek of today's construction. Installing fiberglas insulation in the walls with the paper vapor barrier toward the living side is perfectly normal.

Not understanding the use of corrugated material on the ceiling. I would opt for sheetrock over the vapor barrier and either blown in or fiberglas insulation to the range of R39 (which may be overkill for a garage)

XPS or rigid foam will be terribly expensive in comparison to fiberglas.

Reactions: Guardian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. Should i remove the the Vapor Barrier that is currently up in order to get the insulation between the joists? then reapply a new varpor stapled to the joists like the current one is? or are you saying create a whole sub-ceiling and put the fiberglass on top of the current vapor barrier and then another vapor barrier then sheetrock?

i guess re-read. I think you mean. leave the current vapor barrier, put sheetrock overtop and blow in the white fluffy stuff?

what is cheaper.. white fluffy stuff..lol. or the pink panther stuff?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Around here, the blow in is cheaper and usually results in a more effective insulation because it gets into the nooks and crannies better.
Make sure you have insulation stops and soffit installed before you blow in the material.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts