So as I understand what you're saying, you have power to the garage from the wire that you repaired. If that's the case and nothing works when you hook it up to the original wiring of the garage, leave that wire detached and start taking everything apart in the garage. Somewhere there is a problem with the garage wiring. Could be a bad splice in a box, a staple that has comprimised the insulation on the NMB if that's what was used. You basically have to check it all. If you have a multi-meter that would be a BIG help over a test light. If you have one, set it on the OHMS setting and start ringing out the wires.