DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current garage door, when it is opening, its top edge gets within 1" of the opener track (chain drive)-I assume this is because the current roller track has a large radius. The opener track is also within 1" of the ceiling joists. In spite of the 7'7" ceiling height, I don't have much headroom (for sheetrock, maybe thermal break foam insulation) as it is set up. The door roller track is 6'11" high and I want to keep that height.

So is it the low headroom track that I have to use? Or a special type of top hinge? I saw a video on 6.5 door that used longer hinge but its roller track was also even with the door at 6'6". As noted, I have higher track and I want to keep its height.

The door is old wood frame and ply panel. It is 4 section and 6'6" tall. The previous house had a low ceiling and it had 2 round corners, one for the top section. Is this the kind I have to use? Does the low ceiling track come with short door side track or regular length? I hope my question isn't too confusing. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me rephrase the question.
I went back to the videos. The low headroom tracks are all at the height of the doors, which I assume are 7' high.
If I install the low headroom track at 7' high but the door is 6'6", will it work - that is, turn the top edge quickly and not bind up at certain angles?
I can't imagine myself out of this. lol. Anybody has tried this configuration?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.