DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Garage door opener problem

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
I have a Chamberlain Whisper Drive garage door opener. The sensors are malfunctioning. The one with the yellow light is solid like it should be. But no matter what I do, I can't get the green light to stay lit. At best, there is a barely noticeable flicker that still prevents the door from closing.

The door doesn't move when I use the remotes. When I use the wired controller, the door starts to close but immediately reverses. To close the door, I have to hold the wired button until the door is closed. THis doesn't work with the remotes.

Strange thing is, there has been a few periods, of three or four days, where the door was working fine. Once, it worked with no problems for 3 days, then stopped working. I looked at the sensor and the green light was completely out.

#3 ·
I'm in the process of installing a door closer on my garage.
The instructions go to great lengths to say that the door must be balanced and travel freely.
They include instruction on how to test the balance and freedom of travel.
I would check the manual to check what the requirements for your opener may be. And look for the fault clearing section in the manual, and follow these instructions.
It would be a good idea to check all the wiring connections. Especially, splices that may have been made in the wires.

#4 ·
We got the opener back in 2003. It had operated perfectly up until now. I didn't make an splices with the wires and I don't see any way the wires could have gotten damaged.

The problem is definitely sensor related, since the green light on the sensor is either flickering or completely off. Do sensors go bad over time?

I sent a message to Chamberlain. I'll let you guys know what they say.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.