DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Garage door opener only goes up.

739 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cheapone 
#1 ·
Please forgive me if this is in the wrong Forum, I was not sure if it would be better served here, in Electrical, or maybe windows and doors. Mod, if I am in the wrong place, please move my thread into the right category, Thank you.

The problem: Chamberlain sl600 garage door opener (about a year old). Began randomly beeping a few weeks ago, now doesn't function. Eyes work correctly, LED's lit steadily, opener light comes on when beam broken, led's on eyes go off when beam broken. Door won't go down, need to pull disconnect to manually close door. Same error code if attempted to operate with wall switch or remote. Error code is for travel limits not set. Attempted to set travel limits. Pushing up control (on main unit) after starting to set limits, works fine, door moves up. Attempting to move door down either when setting up limit or attempting to set down limit results in new error code "abnormal velocity", but there is no motor engagement or door movement. The door moves up fine when trying to set limits manually, but will not move down. I am trying to figure out the problem. It appears the motor is not reversing to travel downward, but the question is what needs to be fixed. The eyes work, movement should still occur even if they didn't with the press and hold of wall control, or manually with limit setting switches, but doesn't. Any ideas? Motor? Control board? some sort of reversing switch? Thank you in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you adjusted the down travel knob yet? Sometimes the friction in the mechanism when aging will overpower the door's ability to close properly. Is the door even attempting to go down, and does it reverse once it starts?

#3 ·
Cheapone,
If your eyes are lit up like you say, and the wall control button won't move the door down, I would suspect the logic board. When new openers start acting up, it usually ends up being the logic board. They've done away with manual clutch adjustments, everyyhtingnis controlled by the logic board. If your unit is only a year old, it should be under warranty. Call Chamberlain.
Mike Hawkins

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.