DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running over budget on my detached garage renovation and expansion and because of this I need to purchase and install the garage doors myself. I have done all the renovation and expansion of my garages myself but I was hoping to have somebody else do the garage doors.
I need to install 2 of them 8 x 7 and 9 x 7
No motors. No insulation. Basically, the least expensive white garage doors I can find. I am probably getting them from Home Depot or Lowes.
I already have a garage door on one of the bays but its shot and needs to be replaced.. track and all. Doesn't look complicated or hard to do at all yet every person I speak to tells me that I definately don't want to install them myself because they are a pain in the neck.
Doesn't look hard at all to me. The tutorials I found online look simple.
Any suggestions? Is it as hard as people are telling me or is it as easy as I think it looks.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If you have a modicum of intelligence and the right tools, it should be doable. Overhead springs should be avoided unless you'd like to acquire a nickname like, "Stumpy".
Ron

·
DIY'r
523 Posts
I'm with Ron on this one.

My father-in-law just did his own door; he got a kit from HD that included the door (basic stamped metal bare bones model), tracks, and all required hardware for under $200. He said it was a breeze to install (few hours).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts