DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a garage with the master bath above it. Currently there is Batt insulation in the garage ceiling that is 20 years old which has gotten wet multiple times over the years from small floods in the bathroom above. I will be removing all the old drywall and insulation currently in the garage ceiling and was trying to determine whether Open or Closed cell foam would be best for this application. The pipes for the bathroom run through the garage ceiling and freeze when it's unusually cold out, so I want to do it right (money is not the issue). My main concern is the possibility of water overflowing from the bathroom above in the future (toilet overflow, etc.) and which type of foam would be best in this situation.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37,139 Posts
Somethings already wrong if you keep getting floods.
We own three houses and never once had an over flow in at least 20 years.
What type plumbing?
Again somethings wrong if the pipes are freezing. Pipes on the wrong side of the insulation, not enough insulation, Ect.
Need more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "floods" are simply stupid accidents due to having a family with young kids. Once was due to my son dropping a toy into the toilet and flushing it over and over. Another was when my daughter filled the jacuzzi tub to the top and then got in it, etc. In all cases, water seeped through the cracks in the bathroom (yea, I should grout and caulk better) and down into the garage ceiling. I'm just saying that over the next 10 to 20 years, I could easily see a toilet overflow or something else allowing water into the ceiling.

Everything was done to code in 1995 and we never had problems with the pipes freezing until recently when it's gotten into the low single digits Fahrenheit. Perhaps the current insulation has sagged or maybe there's just not enough of it for the low temps we've seen in recent years in Maryland. Whatever the reason, the drywall is stained and a mess and I want pull the old insulation out because it's gotten wet a number of times and probably isn't offering the stated R-value anymore.

My question is really given there's a conditioned room above the garage, that happens to be a bathroom, which foam would be better to use? I understand all the differences between Open and Closed Cell. I just don't know which is more appropriate to use in this situation.

·
Exterior Construction
26,140 Posts
You are kind of doomed either way. The insulation isn't designed to get wet regardless.

Closed cell will not let the water perk through and it will go sideways whereas open will let the water through and it will ruin the drywall ceiling.

In term of an approach, covering the underside structure with some rigid foam prior to drywall would help warm up the space by thermally disconnecting the framing from the assembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are kind of doomed either way. The insulation isn't designed to get wet regardless.
Exactly! :-( I was hoping someone here would have a convincing argument for using one versus the other. I think I need to ignore the possibility of water infiltration from the bathroom above. If that's no longer an issue, what would you recommend for this application?

·
11,730 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts