DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I "started" these during the winter, and after my deck I finally got back to finishing them up which really consisted of organizing. I didn't use any fancy material, just 3/4 melamine, I'm not a cabinet maker by any means either. Here's the mess I started with, you can see why I needed cabinets desperately.

sheets cut down into numbered pieces

Fast forward to two cabinets being together and fitted for counter top

Counter top being laminated

Drawer pieces

First drawer, made it extra deep for air nailers etc

Outlet on side of cabinet since I covered one of them up

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I made the upright cabinet 8 feet tall because ripping 10 inches off a full sheet of wood is no easy task, after I got it in there I'm gonna need a step stool to put anything in it, a bit too tall even for me.

Put a plug on the exterior for easy access.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The three year "temporary" cabinet I had in there, the drawers are empty cause I was putting all the stuff into a container for now

That same container and all it's contents after falling onto the floor

the only build pic of the bench

the James bond like stealth lawnmower hideaway

The adjustable foot in the pic is only temporary, and I replaced it with a piece of hdpe plastic.

I was all excited to build a big bench and cabinet there, but when I got out the tape measure I realized the lawn mower would block my under stair storage. So I decided why not make a bench that covers up the lawn mower, throw in a couple drawers and call it good.

A pic of the upper storage with all the doors on

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Frame for peg board

Used the silver pegboard, figured it matched better.

Wired in power for the compressor inside the cabinet:

Put one line on the end of the cabinet

and put the other going to a reel on the other side of the garage:

I've realized the error in my ways and now will change out the pipe, I've heard from people the pipe likes to explode after time

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Storage bins galore, wife even labled them

My top drawer, I decided to split it in two, sort of. The top is for my smaller flat hand tools etc, I can either slide it towards the back, or pull the whole thing out and take it with me etc.

Prepare to bend neck 90 degrees. I have no idea why I didn't rotate this pic, but this is what the normal drawer height is, The very bottom drawer holds all my air nailers and circular saw

That's all I have for now, hopefully I'll get around to phase two of the cabinets this winter, but the recession may slow me down

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
You have way too much spare time on your hands :thumbsup:

I think you need one more ATV
So do you build cabinets or something as a professsion?
I noticed all the jigs etc on the wall

I'll be using old cabinets for my garage, have 3 sets already - big garage

·
Registered
125 Posts
What font best represents jealousy? I'd like to be using that font right now.

Nice looking project you have there. The mower storage is so very clever that I may some day borrow the idea!

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
Wow, that is an awesome "Man Cave".

And it was only a 1 beer job. Unless you store your empties in one of those swanky cabinets.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have way too much spare time on your hands :thumbsup:

I think you need one more ATV
So do you build cabinets or something as a professsion?
I noticed all the jigs etc on the wall

I'll be using old cabinets for my garage, have 3 sets already - big garage
I only have one atv, the other is a buddy of mines, I don't do cabinets for a living thats for sure, I own my own company making vehicle specific subwoofer enclosures out of fiberglass for cars, hence all the jigs etc. If you wanna see some of my auto work, go here. As for spare time, it went from building deck to doing garage cabinets to adding the bbq area and now where I am currently. (which is no project on hand and driving myself bonkers)

What font best represents jealousy? I'd like to be using that font right now.

Nice looking project you have there. The mower storage is so very clever that I may some day borrow the idea!
Borrow away, that's what the forums are for is to share stuff and ideas etc.
Wow, that is an awesome "Man Cave".

And it was only a 1 beer job. Unless you store your empties in one of those swanky cabinets.
The rest is in the fridge from my other thread :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
ya that's really great. would love to see some custom fiberglass speakers with ground effects as a nice sound system addition to your man cave.

Knucklez

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks amazing! What kind of finish did you use for non-laminated surfaces? How does it compare to the melamine? I am in the process of building cabinets for my garage, but can’t find melamine sheets (except for 16” wide white sheets at Lowes/HD). Just wondering how I could achieve similar look using plywood.

·
11,730 Posts
It was three months ago....... If he does answer, I want to know if he changed the furnace filter yet? They require 30" clearance in front (this case where the pantry and sink are) and 12" to the side. Hope the outlets are on GFCI's or special circuit GFCI at the panel, at least the two that are 3' to the sink. Nice job on the construction end though!

Be safe, Gary

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This looks amazing! What kind of finish did you use for non-laminated surfaces? How does it compare to the melamine? I am in the process of building cabinets for my garage, but can’t find melamine sheets (except for 16” wide white sheets at Lowes/HD). Just wondering how I could achieve similar look using plywood.
It's 3/4" melamine, I actually ordered it through the special order desk at the depot. I can't remember what brand it was, call around to specialty lumber shops, they maybe able to get it in smaller quantities, I had to order a minimum amount when I built them.

It was three months ago....... If he does answer, I want to know if he changed the furnace filter yet? They require 30" clearance in front (this case where the pantry and sink are) and 12" to the side. Hope the outlets are on GFCI's or special circuit GFCI at the panel, at least the two that are 3' to the sink. Nice job on the construction end though!

Be safe, Gary
Furnace filter is upstairs inside the house, unless there's multiples, but I pulled off both panels on that side and saw nothing of the sort. The tall cabinet has feet and is screwed into the other cabinet and the wall so I can pull it out if I want/need. As for the GFCI's there's two feeding the whole garage, I think one per side??

·
11,730 Posts
Cool, that's why pictures sometimes don't tell the whole story.... Glad you are safe!
Be safe, Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts