DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an attic ladder in my two-car garage a few months ago so I could store some bulky, lightweight items up there and so there's easier access for forthcoming wiring and insulation installation.

My question is will I lose the ability to lay down a couple sheets of plywood as a floor if I blow in insulation? It sounds to me like it is to be blown in thick. My area calls for R-49.

Blown-in insulation is the best way to go, right? Or can I just roll out batting?

My garage is 21x22', so only 462 square feet. Two and a half sheets of plywood (to run the length of the center) is only 80 square feet, or only 17% of the ceiling. Perhaps I could use a thinner application there?

·
retired framer
59,696 Posts
Oh wow, really? Is this common? Will it add too much weight? Three would give me 4' wide...which is sufficient. Just a 4x16' area or so would be handy, that's all.
You likely have trusses, they can take the weight but not designed for anything up there.

How will you get the sheets up there?

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
R-49 is a guideline for between living (warm) spaces and outside (or a cold attic). Being a garage attic I'm not sure where the warm area is? Are you heating your garage? If so, I doubt that space would be considered living space.

Bud

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R-49 is a guideline for between living (warm) spaces and outside (or a cold attic). Being a garage attic I'm not sure where the warm area is? Are you heating your garage? If so, I doubt that space would be considered living space.

Bud
Yes, I will be heating the garage in the winter and somewhat cooling it in the summer for a more comfortable woodworking space.

Right now I am trying to decide between using an efficient mini split with heat pump designed for cold-weather climates, a window AC + electric heater, and a window AC + natural gas unit heater.

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
I've used the elevated walkway and it worked out great, but the bottom cords were 2x6. If 2x4 trusses it isn't just what you will put up there but what future owners may choose to. Some time ago a poster mentioned running into a v-8 engine someone had stored in an attic. Yikes!!

As for the r-49 in a heated garage space not sure if that is required. Others may know.

Bud

Reactions: Nealtw
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.