DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm refinishing the floors in a home I purchased recently.

90% of the floors are original 1948 white oak, 1.5" wide boards

Overall it's pretty good. Some boards are a bit loose around the perimeter so I shot a finish nail at the edge all around.

My issues are there is a couple spots where the floor has a 1/16" to a prominent 1/8" gap.

The 1/8" gap is only near the bedroom radiator so my assumption is it must have leaked in the past rather than normal age/expansion.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this other than replacing the boards? Flooring guy suggested it will just crack if we fill it.

Also is it a bad idea to shoot a couple face nails here and there where the boards are squeeky? Can I countersink and fill the holes?

The attached picture is the bedroom radiator, by far the worst of the gaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
The thing to do is take them out then glue the joints together.
I had some gaps and just filled with with silicon/acrylic color caulk seems ok for now.

·
Registered
37,176 Posts
Just going to make a wild guess, really old house?
Flooring just attached to the joist with no subfloor?
No "filler" is going to work with those gaps.
Want it to look perfect, then it all needs to go and be redone.
Any filler will stick out like a sore thumb and bulge out when it gets humid and the wood expands.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My house is 1950 with original oak floors. I have a couple gaps in my floor that look similar. Maybe not quite as bad, 3/16 or so at worst. With the floor refinished, I don't think they really look that bad. I think anything you could do, short of replacing the floor, would look worse than leaving them. I certainly wouldn't use any caulk.

Your floor is 69 years old. Either make peace with that fact that it won't have that perfect brand new look, or get busy replacing it. I will still look much nicer refinished though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts