DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

the ceiling area around my bathroom exhaust fan has been getting soaked because of the condensation of the hot showers and the cold winter air from the attic. I did fix this issue somewhat by going into my attic and replacing the old cracking duct with an insulated one. However, I am still getting water dripping down from the exhaust fan.

I pulled down the exhaust can cover and did notice gaps around the exhaust fan box. Perhaps this is the culprit.
Just wondering, what is the best way to seal up those gaps? Expanding foam sealant, such as "Great Stuff"? Or silver sealing tape for HVAC purposes? Or both?
I have attached some pictures here:
https://goo.gl/photos/zWX9LDVFYJEUHkNE8

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ed,

thanks for your reply. No blockage at the exit point as it's a new vent the roofers installed when I got my shingles replaced a month ago. I even checked by going up on my roof to see if there are indeed any blockages. I also checked to see if the seal around the vent and duct were intact and they looked fine.

Yes, I am running the exhaust fan for more than 10 minutes after every shower.

Is Great Stuff the best stuff to use or is there another expanding foam that would be better for this application?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts