DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My husband and I started our first flooring project... we are putting down solid wood floors. We pulled up the old flooring and the junky, flaky subfloor. (composite?) We put down nice 3/4" plywood as the underlayment/subfloor. (there are planks underneath the plywood that are on the joists) My question is: should we have left a gap around the perimeter of the room for the plywood? Right now in most places, the plywood is right up to the wall. Of course we plan to leave a gap around the room for the hardwood flooring. Than you for your advice!!!

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
The purpose of leaving a gap all around the perimeter is to allow for expansion due to temperature and humidity changes. Usually such a gap will be concealed by baseboard molding. For large rooms there should be gaps between the floor boards or panels.

Many a floor that was constructed without expansion gaps has buckled particularly during a humid summer. (My high school gym floor was one of those.)

Unfortunately I do not have the engineering know how to figure out how much of a gap to leave, which depends on the temperature and humidity at the time of installation. Gap size also depends on the framing material compared with the subfloor material. Perhaps there are some charts or tables published ont he web somewhere.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC
1 - 4 of 4 Posts