DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Need some advice. Is there any easy fix to “push” this gang box further in, so it’s flush with the wall? Ordered a new wall plate/cover and there is a slight gap which is sort of bothering me :)

I’ve researched and seems when it’s too deep, it’s an easy fix but harder when it’s sticking out too far.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That is a remodel box. The ears are necessary to hold the box from falling into the wall. You might try digging a shallow groove in the sheet rock where the ears are allowing a slight ingres. Not much, only as deep as the thickness of the ears.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
When you unscrew the switch you can see the indentiom of the box that, by removing the ears which extend over the box ears, you can see how it drops back a tiny bit. This is a proper thing to do when you do not need the switch ears to hit the sheet rock to hold it out.
I understand the issue is compounded by the screw less plate you have since they have no forgiveness from the back side.

·
Super Moderator
14,535 Posts
How is that going to happen? The part of the device with the holes for the mounting screws will still sit on top of the box.
The yoke will drop into a slight recess after the ears are gone.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
ok ... news flash ... carve this in stone ... I was wrong. I don’t have any experience with old work boxes ... that’s my excuse. :} Looks like there is a shallow recess there.

CE2A0BEF-F04C-4590-85D2-38D35D6E31B6.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts