DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My family and I recently moved into a new home. It was previously a foreclosure and the water softener has been removed. I had the water tested by local outfit and the data I was given is 19 GRNS Hard and ½ pp, Iron. They want to install a 10 x 54 on demand water conditioner for 1598.00 dollars. The house has 3 full and 1 ½ bath. Five people live in the home. No spa or big tubs.

Two questions:

With the data above can I figure out my hardness per gallon?

I currently am looking at two GE units at the depot.

First Softener 549.00
40,000 grains
10 ppm iron removal
110 gpg hardness removal

Second Softener 825.00
45,000 grains
10 ppm iron removal
160 gpg hardness removal

If I need to spend the extra money fine but I do not want to waste it.

What does 10 x 54 mean? Can it be converted to grains?

Thanks,
Mark B

·
Registered
270 Posts
From your post apparently your hardness is 19 grains/gallon. With the .5 ppm iron your compensated hardness is 22-23 gpg (each 1 ppm iron is equivilent to 4-5 gpg hardness).

10x54 refers to the size of the tank that holds the softener resin and is normally used for 1.5 cubic feet of resin which has a nominal 48,000 grains capacity. (Nominal because that is the maximum capacity when regenerated with 18 lbs of salt per cubic foot of resin which is very inefficient in the use of salt).

With 5 people in the home, assuming a typical 60 gallon/day/person the daily grain capacity usage is 300 gallons x 23 grain/gallon = 6900 grains per day. With the iron a regeneration every 4-5 days would be appropriate and allowing for a reserve of 1 day capacity a softener with 35-42k grains is indicated. But for reasonable salt efficiency you should regenerate with 8 lbs of salt/cubic foot of resin which yields a capacity of ~26k grains. So a 1.5 cubic foot unit should work very well.

I don't recommend softeners sold at big box stores.

Get a unit with a Fleck control head. There are several online suppliers with very good prices for a complete unit delivered to your home.

I recommend the Fleck 7000 SXT control head--it is excellent for your application.

Here is one supplier that has a fairly complete line and provides the information needed to compare different sizes:

http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=632

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thank you Bob!

I am going to go with the Fleck 7000 SXT with 48k capacity. Did some research based on your comments and people have great things to say about the Fleck units. Also they are priced very similar to the units at the big box stores.

I am going to install it myself so if you have any tips or links to share I would appreciate it!

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Thanks again,
Mark B

·
Registered
270 Posts
You will need to regularly use an iron cleaner to keep the softener working properly.

There are several options:
1. Buy salt with the iron cleaner added--with your low level of iron that is probably all that will be required;
2. Periodically add Iron Out to the brine tank; or
3. Use ResCare which is supplied in liquid form--it can be added manually or with an automatic feeder that is available.

Be sure the check the programming on the unit--most suppliers don't set them up for good salt efficiency.

If you need help programming post back once you get the unit and the manual. You can get an electronic copy of the manual here:

http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com/en-us/Products/ResidentialControlValves/Fleck+7000SXT.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts