DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm working to brace up my gable end wall to strengthen it against wind. I found this video here of what I am trying to do.

I cannot do this exactly as shown because my 2x3 gable end studs have other 2x3s fitted diagonally between and in the same plane. These diagonals are fitted against the edges of the 2x3 studs so that so that I cannot nail or overlap a retrofit stud along the complete edge of original studs. Can i attach retrofits to the faces of the original studs somehow to accomplish the strengthening as the retrofits in the video?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,177 Posts
What makes you think it's needed?
Can you post a picture of what you have so we can see what your seeing?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Didn't watch the whole video. But for the bottom, just run right over the gable end to bye three to the exterior plywood and nail there and further inside the house. For the rest, a pix of your situation would be nice but no worries about attaching another two bye to the face the vertical two byes and attaching to that. You could also just run a two bye ACROSS the face of the gable end and tie into that on on end and a few truss members on the other. Ron

·
11,730 Posts
Reactions: deepstuff

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Reactions: deepstuff

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Top bracing provided by your roof sheathing, bottom by your firring for drywall if you have same. Sounds as if the op is looking for sway bracing which may or may not be specified by the architect. But there is a good pix of it in what you posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts