DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, probably a silly question as I think I already know the answer but maybe not.

I'm in the middle of a bathroom reno. I ran two new 15 amp circuits for it. One for the lights and fan, and one for the plugs. In the future, I will be doing an adjacent bathroom reno as well (the master). I want to use the same circuit for the lights and fan for the lights and fan in that bathroom. Right now, I have the circuit going from the box, to the two lights, and then to the fan. Once the bathroom is done, I won't have access to the fan wiring, other than in the attic. What I'd like to do is put another wire from the fan, and either leave it in the attic, or in a temporary junction box or something, so that when I do the other bathroom, I can just run it to wherever i put a light. But I think this is porbably against code, and not a great idea?

I mean, I can always go up and continue off the fan later, but it will be harder as the way the box on the fan is oriented, plus I need to top off the insulation above that area so I'd have to dig it out to do the work. ITs fine if it's the right thing to do, but I just thought it would be easier to do it now, and leave it there somehow safe. I'd take the ends or if I used a temp junction box, I feel it would be safe, but I figure live wires in a box, unused, might be against code?

Thanks for any help or suggestions, even if it's just to tell me not to be stupid and just do it later :whistling2:

·
Sparky
706 Posts
Bathrooms require 20A GFCI protected receptacle circuits.

One single circuit for each bathroom including lighting and fans, or One circuit for receptacles only in multiple bathrooms.

you can leave the circuits in the attic properly terminated(wirenuts) in an accessible junction box with a cover.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
The OP is in Canada. I'm not sure that he is required to use 20 Amp circuits up there.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Why dont you run the cable from the fan to the new location,
Put a j - box in the new location.
But don't connect the new wires to the fan,
just leave them taped up behind the fan.
Connect them only when your do the new instal.

·
Super Moderator
21,610 Posts
In Ontario 20 amp circuits are NOT required in bathrooms. As long as the cable is in a box with a cover it can be installed now. Or you could run the cable and leave both ends disconnected now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts