DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Go to page 22 of install manual, You can run 2 separate wires #4 copper from 2 60 amp breakers at main panel or 1 #0 awg copper wire on 125 amp breaker. A circuit minimum 57 amps and circuit b 50 amps, You can use #6 copper if its seu cable

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If it has two 60 amp breakers, turn one of them off. If the fan runs, the 60 in the panel will hold, but you'll get half of the heat.

If the fan doesn't run, turn that one back on and the other one off.

Most likely, one of the 60s has 10KW heat, the fan and the controls. The other 60 has only the remaining 10 KW heat.

This will get you by until it can be connected correctly.
This is an awesome idea, cant believe i didnt think about it. Especially because its 70kbtus, and i only need about 40kbtus, i bought this furnace in a pinch knowing it was wayyyy oversized, but basically this will put it at 35kbtus. which is fine. awesome, i cant see any damage being done by running it this way either. THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE GREAT REPLIES IN A TIMELY FASHION. Ive been sitting here stressed out all day about it. You guys are great, im glad i made it here!!!!

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
Running an electric furnace with 1/2 of its elements disabled will cause absolutely no problems whatsoever. It'll run perfectly fine with one breaker off for a very long time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In fact, he'd just be replicating what the "low" setting on many heaters does anyways (disabling some of the elements). Perfectly safe.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts