DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Heil Model #NTC6100KFG1 furnace, as shown here:

http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/...2/0912130/50024933/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

Yesterday, I noticed that the house was cooler than usual, and the blower is not turning on. The furnace itself still has power and turns on (it still gets hot), but the blower does not. The whole house humidifier attached to the furnace still has power and works properly. My thermostat is still set to “Heat” and the fan setting is still set to “Auto”, as it always is. Temporarily setting the fan switch to “On” did not change anything.

How do I go about troubleshooting this? I assume I need to check the blower itself to ensure that it can spin. Are there other sensors or wires that I should be checking for voltage or continuity?

Thanks for any help,
Ed

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Do you have a meter and are you comfortable working inside the control panel of the furnace?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Don't leave furnace on. If the blower motor is not running the high limit switch can damage. On the thermostat select Fan on and check if the blower motor will work.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
That furnace has a timer which control the blower function. Can you verify that it is putting out voltage to the blower when the furnace has called for heat? There are also limit switches to consider. Can you troubleshoot this furnace?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I would test the blower motor if you can. Disconnect it from the board and supply power to it. If you wind up needing a board it will be $100 plus.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The blower runs when I plug it into AC. I checked for AC voltage on the circuit board where the blower is plugged in. I get nothing. I'm guessing the board need to be replaced.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Maybe. Make sure there isn't a limit switch locking out the board. You say the furnace does fire though, correct? What about the switch on the blower door...did you override that when checking the board for voltage? The door off will shut down the unit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe. Make sure there isn't a limit switch locking out the board. You say the furnace does fire though, correct? What about the switch on the blower door...did you override that when checking the board for voltage? The door off will shut down the unit.
Yes, the furnace does fire. Yes, I need to hold in the door switch to make it fire. Without the door switch held, nothing works. With the door switch held, the furnace ignites, but the blower still doesn't go on. Even after waiting a few minutes (factoring in the delay).

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I'm leaning towards the control board. If you need help finding one, just ask.:yes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts