DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our furnace has been acting up these last few days. Its turning on, then tripping the circuit about 30 seconds later. I reset the breaker, and the furnace worked for a few days then trips the breaker again. Called a tech immediately when this happened a second time. Last night the circuit tripped again a third time. When I checked it I notice that also the pilot light went out. The pilot light has an automatic igniter and specifically says do not light manually on the front of the furnace. We decided to just not mess with anything and leave the heater off until the tech arrives.

I'm having a tech out Thursday, that was the soonest appointment I could get. In the meantime, should I turn OFF the gas to the furnace since the pilot light went out? It seems to me a bad idea to leave the gas on and no pilot light lit. New homeowner here so not really sure what to do.

·
Administrator
40,310 Posts
Sounds like an old old furnace. Post pic. turning off the gas won't hurt.

·
Experienced HVAC Tech
357 Posts
beenthere said:
Sounds like an old old furnace. Post pic. turning off the gas won't hurt.
Not necessarily they still make furnaces with an intermittent pilot lit from an HSI

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I decided to go ahead and turn off the gas to the furnace to be on the safe side. Is this going to hurt anything?

In addition we have turned off our thermostat. Toughing the cold out til Thursday, yay!

·
Registered
37,264 Posts
Not going to hurt anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts