DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The furnace is in my attic so I wanted advice before I go up there.

It is an Amana unit and I don't have the model number yet. The condenser is separate and outside for the A/C.

The symptom - I can hear the combustion blower turn on for a few seconds, kick off, pause a couple of seconds, kick back on and then the house fan comes on and the heating part works.

What could the problem be - what should I be looking at? If I need more specifics, I can come back with those at a later date.

thanks - I hope to get up there this weekend.
Jeff

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
First we need a model number. Next we will need more details, like is there a flame or not, ignitor glowing/sparking or not? Venter motor getting stuck or running flat out? A multimeter likely will be required, preferably one that can measure uA DC, and/or with a amp clamp, and/or capacitance. (these may not all be needed, but we won't know till you start looking at it) Pictures help, video helps even more.

There should be an error flash code if it's a newer model. What does the label say it means? If it's igniting, it's possibly the flame sensor or pressure switch. My money is on the flame sensor. It can be cleaned with a file or steel wool. Everything gets brittle with that kind of heat and time though, so don't force anything.

Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks supers05 - I will get more information and i'll try cleaning the flame sensor and see if that clears this issue up. I have a multimeter and was an electronics tech in the Navy if it is a more complex issue. Hopefully I will luck out and it is a simple problem.

thanks again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: furnace not acting right - update

Something I forgot to mention in the original post is the fault is intermittent.

The furnace is an Amana 80 SSE Air Command
Model # GJIC070FX40

Overall, the unit was very clean on the inside. I took some pictures to help with what I found.

Picture #1 is the flame sensor - it looked OK to me. I cleaned it lightly with some fine sandpaper, then a dollar bill and cleaned with a cloth.

Pictures #2 and #3 are of the ignitor (?). there was some white ash-like stuff on it, I cleaned it but it remained discolored. Would the white ash cause spark fails and does mine look borderline?

Picture #4 - what is this gizmo for? there are two of them.

Thanks for the help, hopefully cleaning this stuff will work.

I have additional pictures of the innards.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Re: furnace not acting right - update

Something I forgot to mention in the original post is the fault is intermittent.

The furnace is an Amana 80 SSE Air Command
Model # GJIC070FX40

Overall, the unit was very clean on the inside. I took some pictures to help with what I found.

Picture #1 is the flame sensor - it looked OK to me. I cleaned it lightly with some fine sandpaper, then a dollar bill and cleaned with a cloth.

Pictures #2 and #3 are of the ignitor (?). there was some white ash-like stuff on it, I cleaned it but it remained discolored. Would the white ash cause spark fails and does mine look borderline?

Picture #4 - what is this gizmo for? there are two of them.

Thanks for the help, hopefully cleaning this stuff will work.

I have additional pictures of the innards.
1- cleaning the flame sensor..ok...2--3 ignitor looks well used ..but don't think that is what caused your issue..4- that is a safety roll out or limit switch.....did the cleaning of the flame sensor solve your problem....

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
You shouldn't touch that ignitor surface. It's called an hot surface ignitor. (HSI) Current passing through it, makes it very hot, it doesn't spark. If it wasn't working, your furnace probably wouldn't ignite at all. (In the OP you mentioned that it works sometimes) It definitely doesn't look great though, so personally I'd have a spare on hand. The sensor like fine.

#4 is a safety, probably a high limit. (without knowing from where it came from)

Take a video of it lighting off. Recently, I fixed a furnace with a similar symptom. There was a fuzzball stuck in the burner neck for the crossover bars. Very difficult to see, but it was the problem. (those wing looking things on the venturi tubes) The video will help confirm that.

Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help - I'm gonna let it ride and see if the problem occurs again, then i will make a video. It worked fine on my test run after putting it back together, but that doesn't mean much with an intermittent problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
They should both work without issue. Just make sure that the mounting plate will fit your furnace. Other then that they are all the same. They don't come with a plug, so just can cut out the existing plug and merret the new hsi in.

PS. Those prices are reasonable.

Cheers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The people at theignitorstore came through and found the exact part I needed https://www.theignitorstore.com/product/3485713

it ends up the GUIC manual only covers up to DX and I have an FX. You'd think everything in the GUIC series would be the same.

The GUIC is my upstairs furnace. My downstairs furnace is a different model GUCA070BX30 - it uses the same ignitor. It didn't look as bad as the GUIC but is just as old. The ignitors are on sale and free shipping for buying two - so I did.

I also ordered new flame sensors for both units - so for a little less than $100 i will have new ignitors and flame sensors for my furnaces.

I wanted to thank everyone for the help. :smile:

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.