DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
Yes, it is very cold in the house at night. The furnace is not running. I also wish it logged the temperature. We inherited these when we bought the house.

The furnace flashes code 13.
High limit is open. Nothing to do with the nest. Are you sure that it's 13 and not 31? I assume it's working during the day?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
What are you guys talking about "logging temps"? I just checked my history and it shows run times and temperatures, when it reaches the set temps. My nest thermostat works a lot like my old set-back thermostat. I set the time and temperature and it does it. But it does go into a ECO MODE when it senses no one is home. But the ECO MODE can be turned off, if it's not wanted or needed. If the OP hasn't set or checked his schedule, it’s hard telling what it’s set at. If the OP isn't using the schedule to regulate the temperature, he may as well have a conventional thermostat.
Another thing I don’t understand is, the OP had a HVAC tech checking the problem and if the nest it suspected to be that problem, why didn't the HVAC tech check the thermostat? After all the tech should check the thermostat to see what it is demanding from the furnace.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I’m having an issue with my furnace / nest thermostat that only occurs at night. During the day everything works fine. Starting at around 9PM, at the next call for heat, the furnace will fire (natural gas), then shut down with an error code 13. This locks it out, so we have no heat. It will eventually restart in the morning after about six plus hours. Sometimes when it restarts it will shutdown with error code 33, then run with fan only (no heat), then restart and work for the rest of the day.

This is a six year old horizontal Carrier unit installed in the antic serving upper floor, model 59SP5A040E14. We have a similar unit and thermostat in the basement serving the first floor with no issues.

We have had a tech look at the furnace and everything looks “perfect”. Clean condensate drain, fan speed high, gas pressure correct, combustion / flue gas excellent, flutes clean, flame sensor resistance correct, new air filter, all vents open. Again, it operates fine during the day.

I did notice something funny in the nest history. During the day, The heat will go on for 15-20 minutes to reach setpoint. But at night, the nest is calling for heat for only a minute or two and then stopping. It then starts a call for heat a few minutes later and the furnace is not working, so the call for heat continues for the rest of the night. There are also a few periods during this time when the nest stops calling for heat. I’ll try to attached an image.

Can’t figure out if it is an issue with the furnace or the nest. The furnace is getting errors that imply it is overheating, but we can’t find a cause. The only difference between night and day could be outside air temperature (colder at night), but that doesn’t seem to be a consistent factor. Why would the nest history show these strange heating patterns at night? There are no setpoint changes in the schedule.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
View attachment 673795
If you are getting a error code, check out this link.

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
check the voltage on batterys if ya got em..looks programmable..low volts on batteries it will do stupid stuff other than that there cheap at homy depo..28bucks no brainer
oh no, not another one of you posting irrelevant confusing junk in current threads like this one and bumping up old threads. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
If you are getting a error code, check out this link.
The error codes given by the furnace are totally separate from the thermostat's.
In all likelyhood, the t-stat is not the cause of the limit error, but is sensing a disruption/change in current during a call for heat* when it trips the limit and ending it. (*when C wire not connected it runs in power stealing mode and "steals" power from the heating/cooling control circuits)

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I have. There certainly is a lot of comprehensive data on the Ecobee web portal, that IMO is almost too much and certainly too late to be of great use. Nothing is as easy as clicking on a button in an app to get real time data, especially when away from the premises. That old real time RadioThermostat app's "runtime per hour" bar graph with temp and setpoint overlays was simple... and simply genius. Just a glance and you could see if the system was meeting the current thermostat call and if runtime was excessive or not. Also easy to compare total runtime for consecutive days without having to dig for it, like you need to do with Ecobee where the "System Monitor" is only available on the web portal and not the app.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Ecobee. Just asking: how hard would it be for them to port the system monitor, or at least a lite version of it, to the app? That would make me a lot happier.

Look at the web portal. You'll like it.

·
Registered
13,989 Posts
I have. There certainly is a lot of comprehensive data on the Ecobee web portal, that IMO is almost too much and certainly too late to be of great use. Nothing is as easy as clicking on a button in an app to get real time data, especially when away from the premises. That old real time RadioThermostat app's "runtime per hour" bar graph with temp and setpoint overlays was simple... and simply genius. Just a glance and you could see if the system was meeting the current thermostat call and if runtime was excessive or not. Also easy to compare total runtime for consecutive days without having to dig for it, like you need to do with Ecobee where the "System Monitor" is only available on the web portal and not the app.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Ecobee. Just asking: how hard would it be for them to port the system monitor, or at least a lite version of it, to the app? That would make me a lot happier.
I agree, it should be in the app. There is/was a third party app that did that, but they weren't very polished. And there could definitely be some tweaks to their graphs. I do like that all of the data is available as bulk downloads or real time streams, so you could make something if you wanted to.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts