DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
We have a furnace fresh air intake with a small screen to keep debris, leaves, and critters out of the intake pipe. We have had extreme cold temps this week (-10 to -20 degrees Fahrenheit).

The furnace exaust air gets blown around upon exiting the house, and is frosting over the furnace intake...causing the power exhaust motor to shut down...along with the furnace. I have to check this screen a couple times per day, and lightly knock off any frost that has accumulated.

Any ideas on the best solution? (I would prefer to not remove the screen)

Should I put an elbow on the exhaust and extend to the right in this picture?

Attachments

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
the exhaust is done wrong. it should come out as a straight pipe and have a open T fitting on it so the exhaust goes vertical and any water drops out the bottom. we NEVER use those screens as hoar frost plugs them. check the install manual for the proper venting config. post the make and model #.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yuri and beenthere - both of you are spot on regarding your advice.
The furnace is a Trane XR90. I looked at the installation manual, and it shows both the options you mentioned. It appears the installer did not read the manual (9 years ago).

I will modify the vents.
Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.