DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Miller natural gas furnace in a moble home. The old gas valve, the pilot would not light at all, not even light and then go out. I installed a new gas valve and the same thing is happening. Does any one have any ideas?

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
I have a Miller natural gas furnace in a moble home. The old gas valve, the pilot would not light at all, not even light and then go out. I installed a new gas valve and the same thing is happening. Does any one have any ideas?
I have a technical thought: how do you know you even have gas supplied to the gas valve? Do you have a manometer to check gas pressure at the valve?

It is possible that the gas cock or anywhere before is clogged, not allowing gas to the unit thus no light.

·
Administrator
42,280 Posts
Could also be that the pilot burner is dirty, and not letting any gas come out.

·
Experienced
2,979 Posts
How long have you attempted to light the pilot, did you purge the line after replacing the valve. The orfice in which gas flows through for you pilot is very small and it takes a fair amount of time to actually get gas to the pilot port.

Mark

·
Registered
615 Posts
A very common problem is a dirty pilot.After years of burning gas and the heat that that produces tend to slowly plug up the orfice.
I would buy a new pilot as they are not that expensive.You just have to make sure the flame reaches a burner and the thermocouple.
You could try to clean it and use a pin to bring it back to original size but people tend to over do this and increase the opening too much which will kill a thermocouple in short order.
Being that it is old,I think the gas pressure should be checked,both the incoming and out going pressure.
There really isn't a lot that would cause a simple pilot to fail.Now if you have a spark ignition then there are a whole nutter bag of dirty tricks to look for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts